Sunday, May 24, 2015

Value

I was at the local hypermarket earlier tonight. There’s a large parking lot outside and as I got out of the car, a man walked up to me.

“Car wash, sir?” 

I declined and started walking towards the store.

“Please, sir. Only ten dirhams.” There was something unsettling in the way he asked. No one should have to plead with another human being like that.

“Sure, thank you.” I gave him the money and went into the store. As I walked away I saw him wheel his little egg-shaped cart towards the car.

My mother had given me a list of things to pick up and by the time I collected them, and checked out the in-store biryani festival, about twenty minutes had gone by. On my way out of the building I stopped by the local Baskin Robbins for a quick treat.

“Value scoop, please,” I asked the guy behind the counter. “Chocolate mousse royale.”

I watched as he shaved a small serving into the pink and white cup.

“Nine dirhams, sir”

Outside, the man was wiping the hub-caps with a soft cloth as I went up. The sweat was dripping off his face. It was nine o’clock at night and the car was gleaming.

1 Comments:

Blogger mystic-soul said...

Hey bud !!!

You need to blog more.... You can't vanish like that !!!!!!!

9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter